Monday, June 20, 2011

Trip to Jurmala

Day started out sunny with a forecast of rain in late afternoon so I decided this would be a good day to go on a little day trip to the coastal resort town of Jurmala. So I took the train for the 35 minute journey. First we crossed the river...

river

and got out at Majori station...

train

and started walking...

Jurmala2

Jurmala9

Beautiful white sand...

Jurmala10

Not very many people were out today but perhaps on the weekends this sign makes more sense...

Jurmala8

Jurmala is known for its large Soviet built spa hotels (it was apparently the place for all the rich Soviets to go in the summertimes back when Latvia was in the USSR)...

Jurmala5

Jurmala11

It is also known for its wooden houses...

Jurmala12

Jurmala4

Although many have been abandoned...

Jurmala14

Jurmala also has its shopping promenade...

Jurmala13

And at about 1:30 the storm moved in...

Jurmala15

So I went back to Riga and by 3 there was massive thunder and lightening and DRENCHING rain! I holed up in the hotel room waiting it out but it kept storming til around 6 so I just decided to stay in for the evening and watch Latvian TV (right now watching Russian music videos!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my post! I really appreciate that you took the time to take a look!
It also gives me a chance to get to know your blog and find new art friends!
Please feel free to join my blog with Google+ as well.