If you are looking for my other blog about my yoga teacher training,
please click on My Yoga Blog in the tabs above or go HERE.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hot Glue Gun Stencils...

Who knew? Well apparently a few people judging from the You Tube videos available HERE, HERE, and HERE... but it was a new technique to me so I tried it this weekend!

You need:

tools for project

a hot glue gun and a LOT of glue sticks, some parchment paper or a craft mat (I used 2 pieces of parchment paper),and I used a brayer to press down as it gets hot and hard on my hands to press the glue flat.

then for the printing you need:

yellow layer

a gelli plate, acrylic paints, and a brayer to spread the paints as usual, paper to print on.

You can follow the technique in any of the videos above, but basically, you lay down a design on the parchment paper using the hot glue gun, immediately press the other parchment on top of it, flatten it (for the gelli plate I found this is needed), then when the glue has cooled, lift it away from the parchment and you have your stencil!

Here are a few I did today:


Primary set (a la Jane Davies above), yellow layer first, then red, then blue.


Yellow first, then orange, then teal, with a wash of part yellow-part gel medium to soften it.

olive-magenta print

Olive green and magenta, with a softening overcoat of gel medium mixed with transparent iron oxide (Golden)

and its reverse ghost print (my favorite of all these I did today):

olive-magenta ghosts

These are mostly tests, although there are parts of them I like and might tear or cut up to use in my journals or other art. When Leslie and I get together again after Christmas we are going to play with this technique more. I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

Linked to:
Colorful Gelli Party
Mandarin Orange Monday
Creative Every Day


  1. I agree about the last one. A winner! The colors glimmer. Thanks for sharing.

    1. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by the blog!

  2. I agree! And a great post for MOM!

    1. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by the blog for Mandarin Orange Monday!

  3. I'll have to try.
    otherwise: I agree :)
    Have a nice day.


  4. These are beyond beyond beyond wonderful! So glad you shared these!

  5. This is so cool. I am going to have to try it!

  6. Love the development .... beautiful colour and texture. Thank you for sharing on MoM:)

  7. What an interesting idea for some great artistic effects! The colors and textures are amazing.


Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my post! I really appreciate that you took the time to take a look!
It also gives me a chance to get to know your blog and find new art friends!
Please feel free to join my blog with Google+ as well.